Did you know that light in the ocean is like light in no other place on
earth? It is a world that is visibly different from the familiar terrestrial world.
- The move from air into water; it moves through the depths of an ocean devoid of solid surfaces.
- The water of an ocean has an ethereal blue light.
- Sea water absorbs light more strongly than air does.
- While visible light is made up of a rainbow of different wavelengths, each perceived as a different color, blue light penetrates further plus absorbing red, orange, and yellow wavelengths, removing these colors. For instance, red would appear to be black.
- Light passing through water becomes polarized (meaning it’s wave motion vibrates in only one direction).
— Ocean U. S. Magazine
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
May 16, 2018
Our world is a magical place. This is only one interesting fact that stands to teach us as we seek out the numerous places that would like to be the teacher.